Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Weird Al (SQUEEE!)

Weird Al? SQEEE!!!
Welcome to my brand new blog on rocks and fossils and the wonderful nerdcopia of the nerdosphere!

That photo was taken several weeks ago at a book signing for Weird Al's new children's book. The funny thing about the experience was that I never thought I was the kind of person to go ga-ga over someone famous. However, it turns out I was. As a friend put it, I "totally fangirled out." Christine Levin's song about bumping into Harrison Ford sums it up pretty well.

So what makes Weird Al so amazingly awesome? First, Weird Al is smart - really smart. He graduated as valedictorian of his high school at 16.

But, second, he's also a little bit of a hero to anyone who said "Ooooh... this job was not what I expected it to be..." and changed careers. His college degree is in architecture but after college he decided to be a comedy singer. 

So Al's music is a lot of fun, but he's also someone I admire because he had the guts to say "Wow, I worked really hard for this one thing, but it turns out I don't like it."

Weird Al doesn't just do parodies; he also does originals. Here's one of my favorites from his most recent album Alpocalypse, "Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me":


[ ABC Wednesday

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Love this post and wish I might meet a celebrity some day. I did happen to pass Tom Skerritt in a local store one day, but was too shy to say hello.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard this song before but it's so funny! So interesting that he was the valedictorian of his class!

    ReplyDelete